- 116 singers a cappella
- 24 singers with percussion & cello
- Tchaikovsky | Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (Selections)
- Grechaninov | Cherubic Hymn
- Grechaninov | Passion Week
- Rachmaninoff | All-Night Vigil, a.k.a. Vespers (Selections)
- Rachmaninoff | Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (Selections)
- Andrei Ilyashenko | We Should Choose to Love Silence
- Sofia Gubaidulina | The Canticle of the Sun WEST COAST PREMIERE
with Robert deMaine, cello
Lush, rich harmonic music written for massive choirs dominated the style of Russian composers for the better part of the 19th and 20th centuries, evolving into a signature sound that became uniquely identified with the largest country on Earth. Artistic Director Grant Gershon chose the grandest of the sacred choral works of Sergei Rachmaninoff, Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Alexander Gretchaninov and Andrei Ilyashenko to showcase the full power of the LA Master Chorale.
Sofia Gubaidulina, a relatively new voice of the Russian repertoire, wrote The Canticle of the Sun for chamber choir, percussion and cello in 1997 for virtuosic cellist Mstislav Rostropovich. The text for Canticle was possibly the first piece of literature written in the modern day language of Italian by Saint Francis of Assisi. Robert deMaine, celebrated principal cellist for the LA Philharmonic, joins the Chorale for the West Coast premiere of Gubaidulina’s seminal work.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Box Office: Tickets can be purchased by phone at 213-972-7282 or in-person at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion Box Office Monday – Saturday, 10am – 6 pm. On concert days, box office staff can be reached at 213-972-7282 beginning at 10 am and the Disney Hall Box Office will be open for will-call and sales beginning at 12 noon for matinees and 5 pm for evening concerts. You may also leave a message, and your call will be returned. Tickets can be purchased online 24/7.